About the Team
IT systems play a pivotal role in Softcat's success. As our business grows and evolves it is essential we have a set of reliable, scalable yet flexible systems that can drive us forward. The Business Systems Team are responsible for the design, delivery and management of these key business applications.
In support we work in conjunction with an ever-increasing number of Vendors, Partners and Softcat Stakeholders.
About the Role
In your role as Application Engineer, you will work in our Systems Operations Team supporting a range of key business applications and solutions.
Initially you will focus on developing a good understanding of our existing IT estate ahead of becoming the primary point of contact for a range of our BI, Web, Integration and Database solutions.
This critical role offers a fantastic opportunity to build up skills across full-stack technologies whilst having a high level of interaction with both technical and wider business teams.
What you’ll be doing
- Managing the successful resolution of operational Incidents and Service
- Requests relating to a range of IT solutions
- Proactive monitoring of our solutions and underpinning platform, identifying areas where monitoring could be improved
- Conducting troubleshooting and root cause analysis of reported issues with our production systems
- Applying fixes and standard changes to our production environment
- Developing, Testing and Releasing minor changes to our solutions
- Running regular reviews of Incidents, Service Requests, Problem and
- Change tickets to ensure that SLA's are being met
- Working with Solution Architects, Developers and our Release Manager to ensure that new solutions are properly documented, understood and are released into live in accordance with agreed processes
What we need from you
- Self-motivation and a passion for technology
- Strong communication skills
- Some understanding of database systems e.g Microsoft SQL Server
- Some exposure to one or more development languages e.g T-SQL, C#
- ETL experience e.g moving and transforming large amounts of data, working with SSIS - Not essential
- Experience working with reporting tools e.g PowerBI, QlikView, or SSRS - Not essential
- Experience in a support environment - Not essential
About the Team